Page last updated August 6th, 2019. Our last bulk update from Tonya was on February 24, 2017 with addendums on May 26th, June 16th, July 25th, and now July 31st to account for new information on the newer scenarios. Last we heard, the PFS team most recently reviewed these requirements on January 26, 2017. As of March 2nd, 2018 we’ve removed the specific RVC approval categories, and added Assault on Absalom. Hao Jin Cataclysm added Nov. 25th. Siege of Gallowspire added 2019-08-06.
The latest forum post from Tonya on this topic was on February 24th. If Paizo creates a page for it, we’ll link to that page–but until that time, we’re reformatting the information below for readability and findability. This is obviously not an authoritative source; check paizo.com or with campaign leadership to confirm the current Special rules.
We’ll update this post as we become aware of changes to the rules and requirements for running specials. Updates usually happen around Paizocon and Gencon.
Requirement: 4+ star GM, or any Venture Officer, at any time
These scenarios may be run by any 4-star or 5-star GM or a Venture-Officer at any time. They also may be run by anybody at a convention. Any convention may schedule Bonekeep, as there are no table minimums.
- Bonekeep Level 1: The Silent Grave (Levels 3-7)*
- Bonekeep Level 2: Maze to the Mind Slave (Levels 3-7)*
- Bonekeep Level 3: The Wakening Tomb (Levels 5-9)*
* The Bonekeep series must be run in real time due to the time constraints that are a critical part of each scenario, and cannot be run in a play-by-post environment.
Requirement: 4+ star GM, at any time
These scenarios may be run anywhere, but only by 4-star and 5-star GMs (and ONLY them—Venture-Officers may only run them if they meet this requirement. VCs get a +2 and VLs a +1 to their star rating to meet this requirement).
- #6-98 Serpent’s Rise (Levels 7 Special Pregens Only)
- #7-97 Serpents’ Ire (Level 8 Special Pregens Only)
- #7-99 Through Maelstrom Rift (Level 6 Special Pregens Only)
Requirement: 5 star GM
This scenario may be run anywhere but only by 5-star GMs (and ONLY them…Venture-Officers may only run it if they meet this requirement. VCs get a +2 and VLs a +1 to their star rating to meet this requirement).
- #6-99 True Dragons of Absalom (Level 4 Special Pregens Only)
These scenarios may be run anywhere if they meet the listed table minimum, are playing the scenario simultaneously, and are in contact with each other.
For purposes of qualifying for these specials, you may add both Standard and Core tables add together. For example, if you had 3 Standard tables and 1 Core table for Race for the Runecarved Key, that would qualify as the 4 total tables you need to run the scenario.
Recent specials often require RVC approval to schedule. Discuss scheduling with your RVC to confirm which specials require special approval.
- #2-SP Year of the Shadow Lodge (Levels 1-11)
- #8-99 The Solstice Scar (Levels 1-11) (does not need to be run at a convention)(from post by author, and John Compton confirms)
- #3-SP Blood Under Absalom (Levels 1-11)
- #5-SP Siege of the Diamond City (Levels 1-15)
- #6-00 Legacy of the Stonelords (Levels 1-11)
- #6-97 Siege of Serpents (Levels 1-11)
- #7-00 The Sky Key Solution (Levels 1-11)
- #9-00 Assault on Absalom (Levels 1-11)
- #10-98 Siege of Gallowspire (Levels 5-16)
- #8-00 The Cosmic Captive (Levels 1-11)
Not all specials stay that way. In particular, 2-EX, 3-EX, and 4-EX have all been re-released as mundane scenarios over time. If those scenarios were run prior to their rerelease date, they count as specials for purposes of qualifying for your 5th GM star. According to a post on the Paizo forums, those scenarios were re-released on the following dates: