Page last updated August 12th, 2018.
Lists of Evergreens by Type
- Evergreen Scenarios
- Evergreen Free RPG Day Modules
- Evergreen Gencon Module
- Evergreen Quest Arcs
- Evergreen Quests Providing 0 XP
- Evergreen Modules (including Adventure Paths)
- Retired Evergreens
What is an Evergreen?
Conventional Pathfinder Society scenarios, modules, and quests (for simplicity, we’ll refer to them all as adventures) may only be played once and GMed once for credit each, for a total of two possible chronicles per adventure*. Some adventures, however, may be replayed any number of times: these are called “replayables” or, more commonly, “evergreens.” Below is a list of these evergreens. Remember that while you, the player, can replay an evergreen as much as you want, each character can receive credit for each adventure only once.
Check both the scenario or quest itself (or the separate sanctioning document, if it’s a module) and the most recent version of the Pathfinder Society Guide to Organized Play for complete rules. The rules in some sanctioning documents may be overridden by campaign leadership or the text in the Guide. The rest of this document serves as a summary of those rules.
* There are a few ways to replay a scenario: the Core campaign, which is counted as a separate campaign; GM star replays; the boon for the PFS survey in May 2017; the 2017 Free RPG Day boon; and a few other, much rarer exceptions.
Generally, any adventure in tier 1 or tier 1-2 is infinitely replayable provided that you play it with (or assign your GM credit to) a level 1 character that doesn’t already have credit for that adventure. Adventures in the 1-2 subtier are also playable once with a level 2 character. (In other words, they aren’t infinitely replayable with level 2 characters, only with level 1 characters.) Tier 1 adventures are not playable by level 2 characters, although the text in one of the older versions of the guide was misleading.
Remember that tiers are not subtiers—you can’t freely replay the 1-2 subtier of a tier 1-5 scenario**.
There are three exceptions:
- The scenarios From the Tome of Righteous Repose and Beyond the Halflight Path are replayable scenarios in tier 3-7; any character in that level range may receive credit for each scenario once.
- The module Gallows of Madness has three component module-length adventures in the 1-3 level range, and they may be infinitely replayed by level 1 characters only.
- Two quest arcs have been released as scenarios in tier 1-5, and those scenarios—#8-16 The House of Harmonious Wisdom and #9-16 Fallen Family, Broken Name—can be replayed by level 1 characters only.
** Tiers and Subtiers are defined in the Guide as:
“Tier: This is a range of character levels that can participate in an adventure. Scenario tiers are usually subdivided into subtiers. A PC cannot participate in an adventure if the PC’s level at the start of the adventure is outside that adventure’s tier.”
List of Evergreen Adventures
These scenarios work just like scenarios in most ways–they offer 1 XP, up to 2 prestige, and GMs receive one table of credit.
If you plan on GMing one of these scenarios in the 1-2 range, remember that they have separate subtiers for parties of average party level 1 and 2. If a level 2 character plays in subtier 1, you do have to calculate out of subtier gold. (The average of subtier 1 gold and subtier 2 gold.)
- #5-09 The Confirmation (tier 1-2)
- #6-10 The Wounded Wisp (tier 1-2)
- #7-10 The Consortium Compact (tier 1-2)
- #8-07 From the Tome of Righteous Repose (tier 3-7)
- #9-09 Beyond the Halflight Path (tier 3-7)
- First Steps Part 1: In Service to Lore (tier 1)
The Special Case: A “Replayable” Special
#8-99 The Solstice Scar is a multi-table special that is not replayable in the traditional sense. Instead, it is made of components (parts) that will be periodically swapped out as each season progresses; whenever the special is updated, you can earn credit for it again, as though it were a new scenario. The different versions are indicated by -A, -B, -C, and -D.
- #8-99 The Solstice Scar (tier 1-11) (Blog post explaining the special)
- Version A (Parts 1, 2, and 3) released May 28th, 2017 at Paizocon
- Version B (Parts 1, 3, and 4) released January 12, 2018
- Version C (Parts 3, 4, and 5) projected release May 27th, 2018 at Paizocon
- Version D (Parts 4, 5, and 6) projected release January 2019
Evergreen Free RPG Day Modules
The Free RPG Day modules are shorter than regular modules and usually take about as much time as a typical PFS scenario. The chronicle sheets provide 1 XP and 1 prestige. Because they are modules, GMs receive 2 tables of credit.
- Master of the Fallen Fortress (tier 1)
- We Be Goblins! (tier 1-2) scenario pregens only
- We B4 Goblins! (tier 1-2)*** scenario pregens only
*** Yes, We B4 Goblins! is replayable.
Evergreen Gencon Module
The one released Gencon module is shorter than a regular module and usually takes as much time (or less than) a typical PFS scenario, and is designed to be easy to run “cold” (without preparation). The chronicle sheets provide 1 XP and 1 prestige, unless you are playing the unique pregens (or you are the GM), in which case you get 2 prestige instead.
Right now this is only available in a limited Gencon print release. A PDF was expected to be released in September, but hasn’t been added to the Paizo site yet. Note that the conclusion was mistakenly not printed; the author has made the conclusion available on the product page.
- Heroes for Highdelve (tier 1-2) scenario pregens available
Evergreen Quest Arcs
Quests are mini-scenarios that often but not always have one role-play encounter and one combat encounter. Each quest is typically intended to be run in an hour. There are four quest arcs that provide scaling rewards based on how many quests in each cycle the character has received credit for; if you complete every quest in a quest arc, you generally get 1 XP, 2 prestige, and full gold. GMs receive 1 table of credit. The quest arcs published so far have either five or six quests each.
- Silverhex Chronicles (tier 1)
- Phantom Phenomena (tier 1)
- Honor’s Echo (tier 1)
- #8-16 The House of Harmonious Wisdom (tier 1-5, replayable with level 1 characters. The text in the PDF is misleading; the quests are not repeatable at levels above 1st.)
- #9-16 Fallen Family, Broken Name (tier 1-5, replayable with level 1 characters. Like in #8-16, the text in the PDF is a little misleading.)
Pregenerated Characters and Quest Arcs
The Silverhex Chronicles and Phantom Phenomena quests previously required the use of pregens, but have since been opened up to any first-level character. Honor’s Echo has also since been opened up as part of Paizo’s rollout of Season 9.
Evergreen Quests Providing 0 XP are not Replayable
With the 10.0 edition of the Guide, quests are officially adventures. As no special allowance was made for replaying adventures that do not grant experience, these quests cannot be replayed. This section has seen a number of changes in just the last year as the status of these quests was unclear, and GMs and organizers are encouraged to be understanding with players who have replayed these in the past.
The chronicle sheets for these quests provide 0 xp, 0 prestige, 0 fame, and 0 gold. They do have chronicle sheets with other rewards on them. They also have special rules for handling character death. (See Appendix 6, page 40 of version 10 of the guide.)
- NOT REPLAYABLE Ambush in Absalom (for levels 1-5)
- NOT REPLAYABLE Fane of Fangs (for level 5) Uses custom level 5 pregenerated characters based on Pathfinder Unchained.)
- NOT REPLAYABLE The Urge to Evolve (Kobold Quarterly #23, Fall 2012, page 76) (for levels 3-7)
Each of these provides 3 XP, 4 prestige, and a GM receives 2 tables of credit.
- Crypt of the Everflame (tier 1-2)
- AP7 (Curse of the Crimson Throne) Edge of Anarchy (tier 1-2) (Note: hardcover edition only) ****
- Emerald Spire: The Tower Ruins (tier 1-2)
- Gallows of Madness: A Foul Breed (tier 1-3)
- Gallows of Madness: What Lives in the Woods (tier 1-3)
- Gallows of Madness: The Festering Blot (tier 1-3)
- The Godsmouth Heresy (tier 1-2)
- Ire of the Storm: The Deluge (tier 1-2)
- AP79 (Mummy’s Mask) – The Half-Dead City (tier 1-2) ****
- Murder’s Mark (tier 1-2)
- AP67 (Reign of Winter) – The Snows of Summer (tier 1-2) ****
- AP109 (Strange Aeons) – In Search of Sanity (tier 1-2)****
- Thornkeep: The Accursed Halls (tier 1-2)
**** Despite some wording potentially to the contrary in the sanctioning documents, Tier 1-2 adventure path content is intended to be replayable.
The second two parts of the First Steps trilogy have been retired as of August 13, 2013 due to changes in the factions. When they were legal to play, they were replayable.